Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Thumb Sucking Termination, A Date With the Sugeon, and My First Kiss


First, Sophia is a trooper. She is so happy considering we have taken away her most faithful and constant companion that has been with her since birth! She must really like us or something.

We have finished 3 days with no thumb. Day 1 was the worst, of course. The bitter nail polish didn't work although it did make her angry (at her thumb though, not so much at me. You should have seen the evil look she gave the offending digit!)

After lunch we found these lovely little Easter gloves in the dollar aisle at Target, so we added a little strip of duct tape and we were in business again! She looks like quite a lady when you just see her left hand. When you see them both and that only one has a glove, she looks a little like Michael Jackson back in the day.

She has had a glove on her left hand since then and she hasn't sucked her thumb. In this photo, you can see her in bed sleeping peacefully with her pretty glove. Apparently white polyester isn't conducive to suction. Last night, she had a bath with her brother (he loves to take baths with her and is great at the splashing thing...not surprising really) and the glove came off. We were fine in the tub, but as soon as I wrapped her in the little hooded towel, the thumb started for the mouth. I cut her off just in the nick of time and we re-gloved the hand. She didn't even cry too hard!

I think we'll do this for a week and see if she still goes for her thumb when we take it off. Or maybe two weeks just in case...we'll see. She is pretty happy about life considering and is even getting better at falling asleep sans the thumb. She's not quite a snuggly which is a bummer for us, but even that is getting better as long as I sing and rock and provide the blanket of glory, she'll settle in pretty nicely.

In other, related news, Sophia's cleft lip surgery is on the calender: March 22 at 10am. That is 2 weeks from Monday. I think we'll be set with the thumb sucking by then, and she's already a champ (albeit a messy champ) with the cup. I am pretty sure she won't be walking by then, but that was the lowest priority. Mostly just so she wouldn't be frustrated with trying to crawl with elbow splints on.

Tonight, Sophia kissed me. I wish you could have all experienced the bliss! I said, "Sophia, give mommy a kiss!" and she leaned in with a wide open slobbery mouth and got me! The first time she got my chin. Then, when I asked again, she got almost all of my face. It was very sweet (and wet). She is really into me! I think they grow out of that...Oh, at least 7 year old boys do :).

1 comment:

  1. (i thought i posted on your blog two days ago...but it must not have saved...)
    I Love reading your blog...we got your letter this week and picture! Annabelle showed it to everyone that came in that night and pointed to Lauren and said..."this is my friend"! :-) We are still planning to stop by in July to visit you guys...(we will stay in a hotel..don't worry! haha!)...I will let you know dates as we figure them out! :-)

    Good idea for the thumb...we will be praying for her on the 22nd...I am sure you are excited for all that lies ahead! Will she have to have more than one surgery?

    Annabelle made her first call back to China last night...she is doing great. We have been blessed with awesome new friends that come and hang out with her several weeknights each week. They help us communicate "deeper" ideas and things with each other. God is sooo good...they also help her with her homework! :-) yay!

    Give hugs to Marcus, Lauren and Sophia for us!
    Miss you lots...and think of you tons!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete