Friday, April 2, 2010

Trusting and Hoping

The trickiest part of the last 48 hours has been coming to terms with the fact that we can't do anything but watch and wait. We are not in control. We cannot heal. We cannot know. We can only pray and trust and hope. I am more of a doer usually. And, as a woman, I am especially fond of control (Eve). Can any of you relate? This is, yet again, an excellent exercise in surrender. Thanks, I guess.

So, today was tiring as it was the first day of spring break and everyone was home. And I mean everyone. At one point there were 12 children on our property. I only have 3. There was a water fight, a nerf gun battle, and egg dying on the deck. It was 80 degrees! That felt fantastic. Things were busy, Sophia was needy, and I, of course, was her necessary prop. As usual, as the day wore on, she got happier and happier. She loves the evenings. So tonight, I decided to capture some action in the pink and white sleeper:

Here is the girl working on getting to know some of her grandparents. My mom and dad are coming down in a week, and I thought they should get acquainted, so their picture has been moved to Sophia height on the fridge. She usually points at the picture when I say, "where's Grandpa and Grandma?" Then, out of no where, she threw some letters around and this is what she came up with! She's brilliant. I tell you, we're starting calculus as soon as her lip heals.

Sophia was extremely affectionate today too. Sometimes, when I ask her for a kiss, she'll give me the customary baby kiss/lick. Sometimes she just looks the other way, like, "Nope. Not today, Mom." Well, today she was trying to kiss me all the time! It was very cute and very wet. This evening after a particularly wet kiss, she wiped my face off for me. I could hardly stop laughing.

As I wiped up some diet coke I spilled this afternoon, I noticed that she was doing the same! She was imitating the exact motion on her hands and knees next to me. This photo is staged, but I spilled some water on the ground again and started wiping and she jumped right in again. So cute. Man, I love this little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment